*** ANNOUNCEMENT ***
WE WILL BEGIN TO ACCEPT SUBMISSIONS AGAIN ON JULY 1, 2021, AND WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 12/31/2021.PIECES WILL BE SELECTED THIS YEAR AND FEATURED IN 2022 EVERY FRIDAY. DEPENDING ON THE VOLUME, FEATURED ARTISTS MAY APPEAR MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK.
My goals are to find those poets and writers who have something big to say in as few words as possible. Those who can touch someone’s heart in a meaningful way by leaving the reader saying wow, feeling an epiphany or just loudly internally screaming YES! The hope is to turn those memorable pieces into an annual anthology. I’d like to leave readers feeling we may think small but we are mighty wordsmiths!
So join me by participating in this venture or help me find those poets out there who have much to say, and offer it in a way which is, as they say – “short, sweet and to the point.”
I’m in awe of anyone who is determined to put themselves out there to showcase their thoughts and feelings on any subject. Thank you for your willingness to be a part of this with me!
Guidelines for Submissions
I’m interested in receiving any style of writing which can succinctly reveal depth, emotion, and meaning. Submit your work in the style which you are most comfortable with. Some examples of poetry – haiku, senryu, etheree, tetractys, kimo, cinquain, lanturne, paiku, rictameter, tanka – just to name a few styles. Or if you prefer writing stories – 6, 10, 100-word or 3 line pieces are also appropriate. I’m looking for work that is 150 or fewer words.
- Follow I Write Her – it’s not mandatory but it will help you stay informed about what’s happening with The Short of It. Facebook, Twitter, or the blog’s purple Follow Button to the right.
- I ask that you make it an exclusive submission to I Write Her. This means that it is unpublished (including your blog or website) and has not been submitted elsewhere simultaneously. I promise that there will be a maximum of six weeks in getting your work read.
- If accepted, you will be asked to sign an Assignment of Copyright for 90 days, then the rights revert back to you to publish elsewhere. You may, of course, post it on your blog that it has been accepted at IWH.
- Email a minimum of 5 pieces, up to a maximum of 8 per submission to TSIsubmissions@gmail.com
- A maximum of two separate submissions per submission year.
- ALL PIECES NEED TO BE TITLED
- The Subject line of the email should read: The Short of It Submission. The poetry/writing you submit should be posted in the body of the email. If there is special formatting, please let me know. Please bold all the titles. DO NOT SEND YOUR WORK IN ATTACHMENTS. THEY WILL NOT BE OPENED.
All submissions will be reviewed and will receive an email on whether the work has been accepted or not. The goal is to read all work within six weeks but should the volume received increase, you will be notified of a possible delay. Generally, I probably won’t offer any editorial advice but that might depend on what you’ve written.