IWH is launching a new effort this year! What can I say? It keeps my life fresh and puts me on a path of never knowing where else it could lead me. This is joy!
My goals are to find those poets and writers who have something big to say in as little words as possible. Those who can touch someone’s heart in a meaningful way by leaving the reader saying wow, feeling an epiphany or just loudly internally screaming YES! The hope is to turn those memorable pieces into an annual anthology. I’d like to leave readers feeling we may think small but we are mighty wordsmiths!
So join me by participating in this new venture or help me find those poets out there who have much to say, and offer it in a way which is, as they say – “short, sweet and to the point.”
I’m in awe of anyone who is determined to put themselves out there to showcase their thoughts and feelings on any subject. Thank you for your willingness to be a part of this with me!
Guidelines for Submissions
I’m interested in receiving any style of writing which can succinctly reveal depth, emotion, and meaning. Submit your work in the style which you are most comfortable with. Some examples of poetry – haiku, senryu, etheree, tetractys, kimo, cinquain, lanturne, paiku, rictameter, tanka – just to name a few styles. Or if you prefer writing stories – 6, 10, 100-word or 3 line pieces are also appropriate.
- Follow I Write Her – it’s not mandatory but it will help you stay informed about what’s happening with The Short of It. Facebook, Twitter, or the blog’s purple Follow Button to the right.
- I ask that you make it an exclusive submission to I Write Her. This means that it is unpublished and has not been submitted elsewhere simultaneously. I promise that there will be a quick turnaround in reading your work.
- If accepted, you will be asked to sign an Assignment of Copyright for 90 days, then the rights revert back to you to publish elsewhere. You may, of course, post it on your blog that it has been accepted at IWH.
- Email your 3-6 submissions to TSIsubmissions@gmail.com
- The Subject line of the email should read: The Short of It Submission. The poetry/writing you submit should be listed in the body of the email. If there is special formatting, please let me know. Please bold all the titles.
- If accepted, please wait 6 months after publication to submit again.
All submissions will be reviewed and will receive an email on whether the work has been accepted or not. The goal is to read all work within six weeks but could take a bit longer depending on the volume received. Generally, I probably won’t offer any editorial advice but that might depend on what you’ve written.
Should you have any questions, please email me at TSIsubmissions@gmail.com